MS PowerPoint is very effective tool to create powerful presentation. But it can get corrupt like other MS office applications. When you try to open a ppt or pptx files you may get error “PowerPoint cannot open the type of file represented by .ppt” in this case PowerPoint does not allow to access your file. In this post I will explain reason of this type of error and tips to overcome from this error.
Cause of the Error : there are mainly two reasons behind this error both are listed below.
- If PowerPoint file is password protected and created in PowerPoint 2002 (xp) or letter version and you are trying to open it in earlier version. Because earlier version cannot open password protected files that is why producing such type of errors.
- PowerPoint file corruption can be the other reason of the above error.
Solution : There are several possible solutions of above problem is available.
- If you are owner of the file then remove password of that file then try to open it.
- If you do not know owner of that file then download earlier version of PowerPoint and open file with it.
- If file is corrupt and you have a backup of this file then restore backup and use it.
If Do not have a Backup :
If you don't have a backup and cannot apply any of above written methods then you can try these methods but first create copy of original file and apply these methods on copy of the file.
- Try to open PowerPoint file in to word, that will recovers at least some part of your data.
- Open file in to Read-only mode then save it at other location.
- Open blank presentation and use template of damaged file. That might help cut down on reformatting.
- Try to insert slides individually if you are not able to insert the whole thing.
With these methods I hope you can solve your problem. But if problem persist then use PowerPoint repair software to repair corrupt or damaged ppt or pptx presentation.