Suppose a situation in which you get PowerPoint presentation from your friend or client. But when you tried to open it, in your computer you get error message "PowerPoint can't open the type of file". You may think that your PPT is get corrupt, but you need to think again check the version of your PowerPoint. If you are trying to open password-protected PowerPoint presentation in earlier version of PowerPoint viewer which are created in PowerPoint 2007, 2003, 2002 then you will get above written error. Microsoft support provide simple solution for this error, which I will discuss further.
But if you are sure that PowerPoint presentation is create in PowerPoint 2007, 2003 or 2002, and you are using same version to open it, then this error message means that your PPT is get corrupt and you need to apply PowerPoint repair methods to repair it.
Cause of the Error : This behavior occurs when you attempt to open password-protected PowerPoint 2007, PowerPoint 2003, or PowerPoint 2002 presentations in any earlier version of PowerPoint or in the PowerPoint Viewer. Because PowerPoint 2002 was the first version in which password protection has been included. So earlier version did not support password protection hence error message pop up.
For PowerPoint 2007
- In PowerPoint 2007, open the presentation, type the password, and then click OK.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, point to Prepare, and then click Encrypt Document.
- In the Encrypt Document dialog box, delete all the text in the Password box, and then click OK.
- Back to the top
For PowerPoint 2003 or PowerPoint 2002
- In PowerPoint 2003 or PowerPoint 2002, open the presentation, type the password, and then click OK.
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- On the Security tab, delete all the text in the Password to open box, and then click OK.
This is the methods by which you can open a ppt file in earlier version of PowerPoint. But if you are very sure that you are using correct version of PowerPoint to open ppt file then PowerPoint repair software will be best solution for your problem.